Skip to main content

It's All Been Done Before

Fun fact: I have a love of 90s music. I really do. Actually, it goes farther than that; I have very specific Pandora stations I have created over the past 8 or 9 years -- 90s pop, 50s rock, 90s country, 80s...you name it. I have Big Band Stations and Boogie Woogie Stations and Frank Sinatra (both holiday and not) stations to fit every mood I could possibly have.

I'm listening to the song "It's All Been Done" by the Barenaked Ladies as I type this. (Second fun fact: If I hear too many of their songs, I have the sudden impulse to watch the American Pie movies.)

I knew you before the fall of Rome...I knew you before the west was won...

So true for my life today. I don't think most people know, as I typically don't share much of my life with, well, anyone, that I spend the majority of my time writing.

I have written two full books since my kids started going to school (after homeschooling) 3 years ago. I actually wrote one book completely twice (and then chunked it) and had another book I've rewritten so many times I no longer know the plot.

My daughter asks every day on the way to school, "What are you doing today?"

My reply is usually, "Working on my book."

"Which one?"

"The one I've been working on."

"You have too many you're working on. There's the one with Mara and the one with Peggy and the one about the kids in the woods. There's the one with that town and the other one with the girl working that job."

Me: "It's the one about the girl whose sister was murdered."

Fiction writing is very different from nonfiction writing. People used to tell me I was GOOD at nonfiction. I had a literary agent back in my old sarcastic journalist days; I had several editors who were interested in books, but we were never able to sell my proposal.

It is really funny because SJ is really such a part of my past. Sure, those experiences are still in some small part of my mind, but I've moved on. My kids don't really know (or understand) what happened or went down with the website. I'd say most of my friends do not know about it.

It is funny to think about some of the people I knew as SJ. I actually got my very first example of a proposal from Jen Lancaster herself. Jen's a big deal; sometimes I really can't believe she was kind enough to say, hey, here's my proposal! Learn from it!

The Bloggess (Jenny) approached me at an airport. Of course, that's before she became huge. Several years ago, my sister-in-law told me, "you have to read this book." I just looked at her and said, "you know, I met her a long time ago. She knew who I was." (Which is still kind of crazy to think about.)

Of course, they're both big-time writers now. Me? I'm still slogging along in fiction land, trying to keep my head above water as I write every day. Writing fiction, for me, feels so good. I love the feeling of creating a whole world and making it happen. It also makes me feel incredibly insecure (something I never really had with nonfiction) about my abilities.

I am currently in the midst of self-publishing one fiction book. I have some beta readers looking at a second-- I think I'll (once again) give it the old college try with an agent. When that doesn't work, I am sure I will end up self-publishing that, as well.

On good days, writing feels exhilarating. It feels like standing at the beach, the water nipping at your toes, a slight breeze in your hair as the sun sets in the horizon. Perhaps a few friendly sea otters swim by and wave.

On bad days, it feels like a marathon, the kind where you wear Doc Martens and a head to toe hazmat suit. It feels like 24 hours in a sauna, like the flu...like self-inflicted torture.

I live for the good days. I love the good days. I love when I can sit down at type 4,000 words without batting an eye. I hate the bad days, the days when 50 words are too much, the days where I second-guess everything and drag myself around the house, just willing the universe to help me out, already.

I've suggested to my daughter (she's 14 and quite the reader AND movie lover) that perhaps she would like to write a book or movie.

She politely told me (in very firm words) that no, that will never happen as I make it look like the most horrible thing in the world.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to go back to non-fiction. But...for what? As the Barenaked Ladies said...it's all been done before. Therefore, I shall keep slogging around in fiction land, where most of my efforts feel about as useful as throwing Jello at a wall and hoping it sticks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Channeling My Inner Kevin Gnapoor

When my kids were very little, I had a lot of trouble functioning throughout the day. I was very young myself and having eight or nine hours with two very small people tended to throw me for a loop. I did all sorts of crazy things to keep them entertained (Painting with pine cones! Sitting outside the library and reading ALL the books we picked out! Riding bike to the pool!) but, still...that's a lot of time to kill. My husband suggested we get a schedule. Have a set plan for every day. Of course, my being the idiot that I am, I took it extremely literally. (Why I have a penchant for to interpret things in a literal sense is lost on me.) From 9 to 9:30 we play puzzles! From 9:30 to 9:45 we color! Things like that. Except...at 9:15 we were done with puzzles and the colors were missing and OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HERE. Quick, hurry kids, someone snap a picture of Mom so that she looks good in the photo that will make the news. Oh wait, no, I am still wearing a pa

Black Magic Mirror

I was the queen of short shorts in high school. Honestly, I didn't understand the concept of dress code and short lengths (to your fingertips, ladies!) and how they applied to me. Here's the rule: Your shorts had to be longer than your fingertips, plain and simple. Every single time I wore shorts to school (and every single time I got in trouble for them), I'd exclaim that "I have long arms and short legs! They don't make shorts that long!" It is true; I do have long arms and short legs. It isn't true that they do not make shorts that long. I just didn't want to wear them. Therefore, most of the time I wore jeans to school, though I had plenty of opportunities of sitting in the principal's office or getting sent home for my wardrobe. Every single one of my friends was capable of complying with the code, but not me. I always laugh when I hear the Mase (90s) song where it says, "I'm the reason they made the dress code." I smile

Moo Moo Buckaroo

There are several things that have made me give the side eye since I've become a mother to a girl. First, there's the concept of leggings as pants. Not even the "athleisure" type of leggings; no, I'm talking about straight on I can see your pantyline run-of-the-mill cotton leggings. I know it's a thing. It still drives me nuts. The second thing is really something that has bothered me for most of my life-- the concept of aiming a product towards a woman through marketing. Seems to me, recently, that aiming towards women isn't enough; now we must market a product to certain types of women and girls.  We were at Walgreens the other day playing the never-ending game of Things We Need to Do Now That School Has Started. This round involved sports physicals. I was walking down the aisle when something caught my eye: tampons. Not just any tampons, but tampons for "athletic" girls. Would someone please tell me how a tampon could possib