Skip to main content

Just Like Dexter, But With More Pictures of Kittens

Earlier this school year (as a parent, I no longer think in "calendar" years; I think of a year as August-May.), one of my children needed a shark tooth removed.

Shark teeth are basically when the adult tooth grows up next to the baby tooth and the baby tooth does not fall out. They are extremely common in this household. Some people deal with earaches and colds; we have shark teeth.

(Fun fact: I hardly ever have had to help with the removal of loose teeth. Dentists have to remove them for us all the time.)

Our children's dentist has odd hours for shark tooth removal: school hours.

There's a hierarchy of pain + suffering that I consider when it involves missing school. I am not a "sure you can miss today" Mom. We do NOT leave to go on vacation. Therefore, being of the mean parent variety, I insisted my child not miss half a day of school to remove a tooth. So, I brought the child to my dentist.

I really like my dentist's office. My kids are now huge fans of my dentist after the shark tooth removal. It was two days before Thanksgiving and he offered us every kind of treat under the sun, including pie and donuts. (Fun fact: He also has a mini-fridge in the lobbies with Cokes- aka soda for most people-- for his clients.) Let's just get it out there now: The guy sure knows how to keep repeat business in more ways than one.

We've had the same Dental Hygienist for nine years now.  Even though I have a huge love + hate relationship with living in the desert, staying somewhere where I've known anyone, lest a Dental Hygienist, for nine years is pretty awesome.

She knows both my husband and I pretty well and I enjoy chatting with her, even though she's extremely meticulous and I can feel myself wanting to yell, "Less attention to detail, please! Just give it The Old College Try. There's a Coke with my name on it in the lobby."

One day, R (the Hygienist) and I started talking about TV shows. I had recently finished a major feat: Watching every episode of Sex and the City in order. (Priorities, people. I have priorities.) We discussed other shows I could watch in order.

Somehow...we landed on Dexter.

I've seen Dexter (Showtime-- serial killer show) before. Every episode. But I watched it over years, spread out. This time, I decided to binge watch Dexter, which was possibly up there in the top 30 dumb things I've ever done.

I was a couple of seasons in before I realized just how bad  binge watching a dark show like Dexter was for my mental health. My mind was going there a lot. It's just such a dark and moody show, not to mention the violent deaths and creepy plots.

Dexter: great but yeah....

After realizing just how much this show was effecting my mind, I stopped cold turkey. It took a bit of time for me to stop thinking that everyone was this potential creep, that we're not all ice truck killers or psychos.

I haven't touched Dexter since then, which is a shame, as I like that show. I thought I'd finally gotten over the mental impact of binge watching...until I glanced over at my neighbor's house.

A truck pulled up in front of his house the other day; it was a weird camper-style trailer one might see a fancy race car in. While I've seen the same vehicles come and go from this house, I've never seen a street-hogging trailer. The next day, I noticed that the front window of his house now has what appears to be cling wrap covering it from the inside.

"Dave has a Kill Room," I said to my husband as I nodded across the street.

(Just like Muscle Memory...my mind apparently is still holding on to this TV experience. Sheesh.)

But...come to think of it...I haven't seen Dave in a few days. Luckily, there was an episode of Dexter where a nosy neighbor helped solve a crime.

I just hope that the neighbor's plot line ended nicely and not the way most of the plots did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Channeling My Inner Kevin Gnapoor

When my kids were very little, I had a lot of trouble functioning throughout the day. I was very young myself and having eight or nine hours with two very small people tended to throw me for a loop. I did all sorts of crazy things to keep them entertained (Painting with pine cones! Sitting outside the library and reading ALL the books we picked out! Riding bike to the pool!) but, still...that's a lot of time to kill. My husband suggested we get a schedule. Have a set plan for every day. Of course, my being the idiot that I am, I took it extremely literally. (Why I have a penchant for to interpret things in a literal sense is lost on me.) From 9 to 9:30 we play puzzles! From 9:30 to 9:45 we color! Things like that. Except...at 9:15 we were done with puzzles and the colors were missing and OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HERE. Quick, hurry kids, someone snap a picture of Mom so that she looks good in the photo that will make the news. Oh wait, no, I am still wearing a pa

Black Magic Mirror

I was the queen of short shorts in high school. Honestly, I didn't understand the concept of dress code and short lengths (to your fingertips, ladies!) and how they applied to me. Here's the rule: Your shorts had to be longer than your fingertips, plain and simple. Every single time I wore shorts to school (and every single time I got in trouble for them), I'd exclaim that "I have long arms and short legs! They don't make shorts that long!" It is true; I do have long arms and short legs. It isn't true that they do not make shorts that long. I just didn't want to wear them. Therefore, most of the time I wore jeans to school, though I had plenty of opportunities of sitting in the principal's office or getting sent home for my wardrobe. Every single one of my friends was capable of complying with the code, but not me. I always laugh when I hear the Mase (90s) song where it says, "I'm the reason they made the dress code." I smile

Moo Moo Buckaroo

There are several things that have made me give the side eye since I've become a mother to a girl. First, there's the concept of leggings as pants. Not even the "athleisure" type of leggings; no, I'm talking about straight on I can see your pantyline run-of-the-mill cotton leggings. I know it's a thing. It still drives me nuts. The second thing is really something that has bothered me for most of my life-- the concept of aiming a product towards a woman through marketing. Seems to me, recently, that aiming towards women isn't enough; now we must market a product to certain types of women and girls.  We were at Walgreens the other day playing the never-ending game of Things We Need to Do Now That School Has Started. This round involved sports physicals. I was walking down the aisle when something caught my eye: tampons. Not just any tampons, but tampons for "athletic" girls. Would someone please tell me how a tampon could possib